The following tweet by Fiona Wattam , founder of IELTS with Fiona , might possibly strike a nerve with many TEFL teachers around the world. And it most definitely did so with at least one of our team of English Trainers in Hamburg, Germany….. me! How dare somebody criticise hard-working English teachers in that way. Many English trainers go many extra miles for their students. And it would be far more accurate to describe them as top quality English language service providers.
Fiona’s TEFL Teachers tweet
I’m writing a blog in response to a comment I overheard at work! ‘TEFL teachers are not REAL teachers’. Is that true? What do you think? #tefl #teachenglish #efl #teaching pic.twitter.com/sohNaaPWPK— IELTS with Fiona (@IELTSetc) August 5, 2019
Questions for English Teachers & Learners
- What is your opinion of the comment that Fiona overheard?
- What emotions does the comment raise?
More questions for English Teachers
- Have you ever heard similar comments?
- How have you reacted? (or how would you react?)
Personally, I’ve been hugely impressed by many excellent English trainers over the years – and also been somewhat distressed that their efforts haven’t always been properly recognised (see Fiona’s tweet above!)
The result is this website and its aim is to help to provide better opportunities, recognition and reward to our growing team of quality English Trainers in the future.
- supports and promotes TEFL teachers and other English language service providers who go the extra mile for their students and company clients
- provides free profile pages to those TEFL teachers and service providers who make a successful application to join EnglishTrainers.org
- highlights its latest collection of quality ESL resources and video lessons in ESLWeekender – together with all the latest developments at EnglishTrainers.org
Fiona’s Blog Post
A link to the follow-up blog post about TEFL Teachers will, of course, appear on this page – as well on all EnglishTrainers.org social media feeds – as soon as it has been published.
In the meantime, please let Fiona know your reaction to this story. And if you have your own story to tell perhaps you would like to share it in the follow-up post.